Tuesday 26 July 2016

Tuesday intros: Elizabeth Taylor.

I'm joining Diane at bibliophile by the sea who hosts Tuesday intros. My choice this week is a novel by one of my favourite English authors, Elizabeth Taylor. (NOT the actress!) After last week's devastatingly haunting John Banville novel of love between a schoolboy and a married woman I've re-read 'In a Summer Season' which deals with another uncomfortably-matched relationship.

You can tell from the opening paragraph that the novel is something of a period piece, it was first published in 1961, but the novelist portrays human emotions with great skill and a wry humour that is timeless. She has pin-pointed English middle-class life perfectly.

3 comments:

  1. I like the opening. I want to know more . I would read on. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd have to read the first chapter or so and then decided if I wanted to read the whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, yes, it sounds like a good read. Even reading about English life is a bit of an adventure for me.

    ReplyDelete