Sunday 20 January 2013

Cars in Cuba!

I'm not a car person, for me they are a means of getting from A to B. But the cars in Cuba are something else. Crazy old American gas-guzzling monsters are all about the island, so colourful, numerous and outrageous that they put a smile on every tourist's face.

Gary at A Day in the Life asked me to send him a postcard, so here it is (only slightly later than the ones that had a stamp on!)
                      Dear Gary,
                      postcard has our hotel, the Parque Central, in the background,
                      perfectly placed for walking around La Habana Vieja. (I know that 
                     you wil be focusing on the cars!) Havana is fantastic, you MUST visit!
                      Rx.

This view from our bedroom window reminds me of a Hopper painting.
There was the opportunity about town for all sorts of posing.
We booked a 1948 Buick convertible
and at the Plaza de la Revolucion I did a bit of posing myself!
These old cars must provide their owners with a good living. This one has been handed down in the same family through three generations.
We were driven along the Malecon with the sea spray in our faces.
I bought this delightful old postcard, although  I doubt that the spray would have done the double bass much good!
 Spare parts are not available, so these cars are patched up as best as can, which is not always very well at all.
But as you can see, Mr Ford, they come in every colour that you could wish for.












Including black!
And when you order a taxi this is what arrives.
Which can't be bad!

2 comments:

  1. Rosemary, Transportation is truly a colorful step back in time. I actually recognized at least two models I remember from my own childhood. What a delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen anything like these cars before, Bonnie, and, as you can tell from the number of photos that I took, I was totally bowled over by them. Rx.

      Delete