Sunday 18 March 2012

Ceramic Sunday - update!

I photographed this bowl last November at Tortola museum in the British Virgin Islands. I posted it on a Ceramic Sunday saying that I wished that I'd picked it up to look underneath and see where it had been made. Our neighbours visited last month and investigated for me. First shock - it is made of melamine and, against expectations, so light that it nearly flew out of their hands. Secondly, it was made in China!
It so clearly looks like melamine to me now and as such doesn't even qualify for ceramic Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. Oh we have all been fooled. One of my favorite shops carries what I thought to be beautiful Italian pottery.....melamine. The pattern is lovely! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it odd, now that I've been told that it's melamine, I'm amazed that I ever thought that it was ceramic. But the pattern and the colours are just right for their setting.

      Delete
  2. Should we be suspicious of the Tortola museum from now on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, lets forgive the museum, it is small and friendly and, I suspect, mostly ignored by the tourists. We had the place to ourselves when we looked around. (And perhaps it was a terrible tourist who broke the original bowl!)

      Delete