Monday 26 August 2013

Bank Holiday Monday

August Bank Holiday is a traditional time for heading to the seaside. In the Victorian era both children and adults would dress in sailor outfits, cram a straw hat on their heads, walk the promenade, dig in the sand, put their toes in the water and generally have a jolly good time.
We stayed home in the quiet of the garden. Since visiting the Laura Ashley exhibition in Bath I thought that I would dig out my Laura Ashley sailor dress for Patti's Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style.  It's been hanging in my wardrobe for quite a while. It's from the late 70's or early 80's, I can't remember exactly when. It is made of beautifully soft baby needlecord in a favourite colour, (which the camera has exaggerated somewhat.)
The minute I give it to a charity shop it's sure to be back in fashion!
Hope you have all had a lovely Bank Holiday.

14 comments:

  1. Oh oh oh. I'm going a little crazy for your Laura Ashley sailor dress. You look so perfect in the garden. Perfect. Never ever give that dress away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must confess that I've got two sailor dresses in the wardrobe in different colours but so little storage space that the doors barely close - somethings got to give!

      Delete
  2. I'm with Connie - pls keep that dress forever! You look wonderful and thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fascinating to take a peek at Visible Monday,Patti, and see what everyone is up to.

      Delete
  3. LOVE THE DRESS!!! Hold on to it and good for you for being able to fit into it!

    You are Virginia Woolf meets Laura incarnate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crickey - one woman who drowned with stones in her pockets and another who fell down the stairs! I think I prefer just to be me!
      (The dress has no waist and is huge, it could fit you and me both!)

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful dress. Classy clothes never go out of style. You wear it well, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderfully comfy and I love the colour, but as for being in style, leg-o-mutton sleeves make me feel very dated!

      Delete
  5. You are SO beautiful! Do not give that dress away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Margy, YOU are the stylish lady, always so elegant. I'm very envious of your skills with fabric.

      Delete
  6. That's your garden?! How beautiful, and a perfect place for lolling about in that dress. You must keep the dress - it's lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do click on view my complete profile and then on to share my garden for a look at what's happening in my garden. This afternoon it has been hacking back and this evening a bonfire - a good day!

      Delete
  7. If you wear it, it's in fashion by definition. No, please keep it and wear it with rocker boots this winter. Looks so lovely with your hair. Beautiful, distinctive piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I actually wore this dress out and about I had long dark hair pinned up and straggled down which I think is what it needs to balance the shape. I've got some Victorian style dull pink lace-up boots so, come the winter, I might give it a whirl!

      Delete