Thursday 30 November 2023

Re-reading

I haven't posted my reading for a long while and this autumn one of the book groups that I'm in picked books for discussion that I'd already read. At first I was disappointed, there are so many books that I'm waiting to read. The first re-read was 'My Cousin Rachel' by Daphne du Maurier. I hadn't read this for many years but remembered the story clearly. Because of this I read the introduction first, something I usually do at the end of a book as they so often give the plot away. This introduction made all the difference to my reading of the story, pointing out that we only hear the thoughts of Philip, a twenty-four year old with very limited knwledge of the opposite sex. It caused me to question everything that I was being told. At the meeting, an all women group, when asked if we thought Rachel was guilty, everyone said,'YES!' The second re-read was Edith Wharton's, 'House of Mirth.'
Once again, I hadn't read this book for many years but could recall the story clearly. I've also seen the film with Gillian Anderson in the lead role. I think both film and book are superb. Knowing the ending gave me time to appreciate the quality of the writing. There are places where it cuts like a knife. This edition has an interesting afterward by Hermione Lee.
Sadly I won't be able to attend the Yorkshire book group who will be discussing a favourite book of mine, one I've read a number of times., 'A Month in the Country.' I first bought the paperback, then saw the film, and eventually treated myself to a Folio hardback edition.
This is a very gentle, warm-hearted book with an undertow of sadness. Is it a novella? I don't know at what point a short book tips over into being a novel rather than a novella. The author has written a foreward that gives us the background and mood of his story.
I love the ending, it captures my own emotions about people and places that I've loved.

2 comments:

  1. Although I have read other books by Daphne Du Maurier, Cousin Rachel is not among them. And I am not familiar with the other two books, but "A Month in the Country" is the one that really appeals to me.
    Interesting, isn't it, how re-reading something many years later can make for a very different reading experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you would like 'A Month in the Country', I hope so.
    I used to think that it was a waste to re-read when there was so much waiting for me to discover for the first time but I've changed my opinion on that. Because, yes, you are right, it can result in a surprisingly different experience.

    ReplyDelete