Tuesday 7 June 2022

Toad Hole Cottage

Having ducked down and successfully navigated the bridge at Ludham it was good to moor the boat and step ashore. We discovered the delightful small museum of Toad Hole Cottage, a house that had been lived in by generations of eel catchers.

There were several items that I remember from my childhood, stone 'pigs' used to warm cold beds.Those pigs will have been very welcome in harsh weather, surrounded by water I'm sure the damp would seep into your bones. There would have been jousling for position to be close to the fire on winter nights! In the pantry there were jelly moulds like the ones we had at home, my mother used her rabbit mould for blancmange or caramel custard.

6 comments:

  1. I bet there were a number of children sharing those narrow beds!
    Such small museums, made to look like as if the people living there had just stepped out of the room, are wonderful, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really was delightful, but I imagine that there will have been competition to huddle round the fire in cold, wet weather!

      Delete
  2. Have you seen the tiny little cottage in the garden of The Newt that used to be the gardener's and his 7 (?) children?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to the Newt, I understand it is a VERY expensive place, getting quite a bit of attention about the Roman villa. Were you involved?

      Delete
    2. I was invited to quote for the making of a marble figure representing the goddess Luna, but sadly I didn't get the job. I will find out who did one day. Their one-time admission fee of about £20 is designed to keep the riff-raff out. They don't want huge families from Frome bringing their own picnics!

      Delete