Thursday 10 September 2020

Nearly normal

 Last week we were out and about in a way that we had not experienced for many months. I'm glad that we did, for once again lockdown restrictions have been put in place banning any meetings anywhere, with numbers not exceeding six people.

First we went to Bournemouth to stay with family and to enjoy our grandson's company before his return to nursery. The beach was quiet enough to  visit midweek and we ran about in the open space, played in the sand dunes and paddled in the sea. "He got rather wet," I told his mum. "I saw," she said.













On Saturday we left Bournemouth and traveled to West Bay to meet up with friends and attend a poetry event at Sladers Yard, a former sail loft that is now a gallery and café.

Dave talks and the poet listens!





We stayed for lunch - delicious, fish, fish, fish.
What to choose? I had fish stew. 
In the afternoon we went with our friends to visit a couple of artists who live in the valley above Lyme Regis with beautiful views over the surrounding countryside. It is always interesting to visit the place where artists live, there are lots of quirky things to see and I invariably feel completely at home.

Light floods in to every room,

especially into the main sitting room.





It was a really stimulating day.

On Sunday it was the birthday of our friend, Steve, and it was combined with a reduced-number meeting of our book group. Only seven members were present, but even that is now too large for the new social distancing regulations. We stayed outside to talk and eat, I doubt that there will be many days left for us to do so this year. 
Steve has put a skylight into the landing roof to bring more light into the centre of the house and as a result artwork has been re-hung. Before the others arrived we went inside the house to take a look.
Janet's enamel work and Steve's painting.

Janet's studio has been nicely tidied!
It is always fascinating to look at work in progress.
Then it was outside for lunch and a sociable time with our friends. 









4 comments:

  1. I remember getting bored with normal; now I crave it. It is wonderful that you got to spend time with your grandson. We all need mental holidays to feel human again and with practical precautions, we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that I've ever felt bored with normal, although it was periodically enhanced by holidays in the sun and I'm missing those. I've seen friends and neighbours in the garden throughout all this mess and I think that the coming winter will be much more of a challenge.

      Delete
  2. My "normal" may be completely boring to other people, but I like it - my life, my flat, my town, my job, my friends and family. I miss going dancing, that is about the only thing I would love doing again just like "before".
    That house full of light and art is wonderful! No suprise that you felt right at home there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that a sense of contentment is a valuable quality. I sometimes dance around the kitchen to music on the radio, or we play some sals in the sitting room and bop around a bit - very life enhancing! I hope your dancing days will return before too long.

      Delete