Saturday 6 June 2020

Presents

A present arrived in the post from the First Born, a very pretty-looking mask for when I go out to meet the world again!
I had a bit of a kerfuffle at first in trying it on, trying to fasten the ribbons at the back of my head, catching them in my hair and having the mask slip down from my face. Then it dawned on me that the ribbons needed be tied together. Success - I'm sometimes a bit slow to work things out!
But although the mask itself is pretty, the act of wearing it is not. You can convey so little. A smile is useless and much human interaction is lost. A masked face is disturbing and potentially threatening. Even so I shall be quite happy for EVERYONE to be masked when I do eventually leave this period of self-isolation.
When we opened the kitchen door we found that a courier had left a parcel.
A super little hamper of goodies from Fortnum and Mason
to thank us for looking after Sparky.
Sparky did his very best to pal up with Himself, but it was to no avail. I could have told him that it was a lost cause, and not helped one bit by tearing away at the planking on the wooden shed.
 The First Born is a journalist and I sometimes get maligned in print. This week she mentioned my gardening garb. Yes, I'll admit that when I garden I do dress rather like Worzel Gummidge, in my, or her, or her sister's old clothes. I'm comfortable like that and don't care if I get tangled in a rose bush or if something gets torn or covered in dirt. The concept of new clothes bought just to garden in is a strange one for me. Neighbours have got used to me looking like a bin lady. Perhaps they think me a bit eccentric. I wouldn't know.
After days of glorious weather it is now extremely windy and cold and we have retreated into the greenhouse. The bigger citrus trees have been put outside for the summer and we are sheltering inside. Having lived in shorts and skinny tops in recent weeks, (scruffy, old ones, as above!) I'm now back in trousers and warm jumpers. Me&Ems lovely light, yet cosy, cashmere jumper and cargo pants are not hand-me-downs so I won't be gardening in them any time soon. I'll probably need to wear out the elbows first.
Crazy weather. Crazy times. I hope, dear bloggers, you are keeping safe and well.

7 comments:

  1. Masks are a way of life for us now, at least (how I look at it) the thoughtful and intelligent among us. I resist the urge to ask some, "Why aren't you wearing a mask?" because it seems such a logical thing to do. Nevertheless the prettier the mask, the sadder I feel about the state we are in. I've seen masks designed as happy faces, for sports teams, even to match a wedding gown. My masks of choice are those standard blue disposable paper things that match nothing but my mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, you are obviously out and about and finding it hard going. I've been isolated now for three months and having a touch of cabin fever! I'm going to mask and glove up and get out there any day now.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Over here, masks are mandatory on public transport and in shops. As you say, it is no joy wearing them, but it makes sense and so I comply, avoiding situations where they are needed.
    I am so with you on the gardening clothes! Why ruin something nice when you have older things around that won't mind a bit of dirt or tear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going to accept wearing a mask as standard behaviour for the foreseeable future. Better safe than sorry.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog . Happy discovery !

    ReplyDelete