Friday 25 October 2019

White Palace

Last week we were in Crete with friends for a blast of sunshine before winter sets in. We were a little further along the coast from the hotel where we stayed in the spring, this time with a far better beach  and a shallow sea that made swimming safe and pleasurable. We had booked a sea view room and arrived late in the evening. "How lovely," I said when we opened our French windows and heard the waves on the shore. "I don't think that we've ever had a room so close to the sea before."
At 3am I was saying, "shut the door, those waves are driving me mad!" Inconsistent? Moi!
The weather was glorious and part way through the holiday things got even better when we were upgraded to a suite. (We were on holiday to celebrate my birthday.)


The suite gave us plenty of private space,

with plenty of outdoor space for our friends to join us.
A great place to watch the sun go down.





Aah, it was good!

6 comments:

  1. That is one spacious suite! As for the sound of waves, I don't think I could ever tire of it. Every year in the summer, my late husband and I spent a week or so in Scarborough. I loved our room with sea view, and the first sound in the morning and last I heard when falling asleep was the sound of the rolling sea.
    Where on Crete were you? O.K. knows the island well, his sister lived there for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't believe our luck with the suite! We know Scarborough quite well as our younger daughter did her first degree there in a former teacher-training building that was serving as an outpost of York University.
      We were staying just along the coast from Rethymno.

      Delete
  2. Glorious! Love your bikini, too! You won't get lost at sea in that colour. Happy Birthday for last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bikinis! The orange one is, and looks, cheap as chips. They fall apart so quickly that I refuse to spend money on them and this one was £12 from Asda. I never swim in pools, so can't blame chemicals, but I am in and out of the sea all day, wet,dry, sun, wet etc... and the fabric goes limp and thin in no time. (You said the same as Himself, "Well, you won't get lost in THAT!"

      Delete