Saturday 18 May 2019

Bath Society of Artists

Last night was the private view of the annual BSA open exhibition. Himself and several friends had work on display and we joined the general crush and went along to take a look.
This year for the first time submissions had been made online rather than with the actual artwork. As a consequence there were far more applications than usual, hence a greater crush at the private view!
On occasions like this I'm just as interested in the people as I am in the art. I'll come back another time when it isn't too crowded and have a proper look at the work on display. It's a very varied show and I'm always impressed by how well it is hung. I know from experience that it is much trickier to hang a mixed rather than a solo exhibition.
Where to look next!


Stewart Geddes, whose solo show we had seen earlier in the week, was the invited artist this year. His paintings looked very vibrant set against the dark wall.
An onlooker in matching stripes!
I liked Poppy James' 'Shard' painting. It reminds me of O'Keefe's early paintings of Manhattan at night.






All sorts of outfits - this hat sported a huge pheasant feather.
And look at this fabulous brooch, a row of pearl peas!
Then it was into town for supper with friends.

2 comments: