Tuesday 24 January 2017

Tuesday Intros.

I've just finished reading this book by the popular English playwright and novelist, Michael Frayn. It's the answer to a request from his daughters to know something about his childhood and gives a warm portrait of his father whilst describing his own journey from child to adult. I think the first chapters suffer from information that the family may well find riveting  but that is frankly rather boring for other readers. Biographies and autobiographies are fascinating for what they leave out and this book is no exception, too much information one minute, then gliding over situations that would fascinate the next.
Here is the opening page.
If you've read any of his novels or seen his plays then it may be of interest to you.
Joining up with Barbara who hosts Tuesday Intros.

6 comments:

  1. This is not an author that I've read before. I agree that sometimes biographies or memoirs seem to work better for the author than for the reader. Hope you enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you need to know his work to gain anything from this book. I've read his books and enjoyed his plays so it was of interest but not especially memorable.

      Delete
  2. Ah, those days when you could leave your door unlocked (whether you were in the house or not). I'm guessing the 'black homburg' was his Dad? If I saw a black homburg coming around the door, assuming it had managed somehow to get around the dogs and electronic security and locked doors and windows, I'd probably swing my bat first and ask questions later. *sigh*

    I agree with you on the 'what people will find readable'. It must be a particular problem for writers of memoirs and auto/biographies...what to include, what to leave out.

    Here's my FCFP post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LuAnn, you make me laugh, but you're right, the days of leaving doors unlocked is long gone. (Yes, his dad was under the hat.)

      Delete
  3. Great excerpt! And a reminder of a kinder, gentler time when people left their doors unlocked.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a kind portrait of his father but left gaping holes, or 'air brushing' around some other relatives - first wife, sister.
      Made me ponder the problems that come with writing a biography.

      Delete