Wednesday 29 June 2016

On the town

To cheer ourselves up from all the current gloom of silly little England (which has now got even smaller in more ways than one) my friend and I went into town for a Girls' Day Out. The main purpose of our visit was to see the History of Fashion in 100 Objects exhibition at the Museum of Fashion which comes to a close at the end of this month.
The design of the shoes in the centre of the picture below was fascinating. They are heeled shoes with the addition of a clog base to offer protection to the fabric shoe when walking out. When the bows are untied the clog element can then be removed to reveal the healed shoe. Clever!
The museum was quiet, most people must have already visited, so it was nice to wander round and view the many objects without any interruption. There were delicious costumes on display. I would love to wear this beautiful dress from the 1860's.

It was interesting to see some of the more modern pieces owned by well-known people, a shimmering spectacle of a sheath dress worn by Elizabeth Taylor and this desirable little jacket owned by Vivienne Leigh.
Look how many centuries separate these two items of clothing! The jacket from 1948 looks absolutely up to the minute, another item that I would love to wear. Not allowed, of course, but we did indulge in a bit of silly dressing up!

I succeeded in looking like someone very disreputable from a Dicken's novel.
and just look at the Artful Dodger!
Then we stopped being silly and took ourselves off to be Ladies Who Lunch.

9 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a grand time. Loved the top hat! Hugs, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. After all our silliness we enjoyed a tasty lunch sitting outside in SUNSHINE!

      Delete
  3. Hahaha! Of course I love the dressing up part and would have been tempted to walk out of there with the costumes still on! The shoes, the shoes. For those time I would have had monstrously large feet. This was a great way to cheer yourselves up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a great addition you would have been on our day out, Melanie. All the shoes in the exhibition were ridiculously small. Lots to see and ooh and aah over.

      Delete
  4. Oh what a terrific exhibit. A definite cheerer upper. I love that you played dress up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. I have been absent for such a long time. I have totally missed all these nice posts from the always lovely Rosemary. Isn't it funny how fashion can almost always brighten up a day? I love that you got to actually try a few things on! Whenever I am at a fashion exhibit I always feel like I'm shopping. So tempting to want to stuff a nice jacket in my bag!

    ReplyDelete