Friday 26 February 2016

Yorkshire

We've been in North Yorkshire, staying in the bolt hole that we converted from a stable block way back in the early '70's. There is no t.v. and no mobile phone reception; we take a pile of books, stack up the wood burner  and, if the weather is bad, just hunker down.
Some days the wind howled in the trees and the rain was horizontal, other days the sun shone in a cold, bright sky
and we ventured out. I dug up snowdrops from the back garth and planted them on my parents' grave.
The few that I had planted on the roadside verge outside our place are starting to multiply and look rather pretty.
Of course there are always a few jobs to be done. Himself set to work on the house front.
Not my usual sort of sky photo for Skywatch Friday!
If we finish reading the books that we've brought with us then we go to the book swap in the next village.
There's no knowing what you might find - and the setting is rather fine!
Himself thought that there might be something interesting on the bottom shelf.
On a crisp, cold day we went to the small Catholic church to attend the funeral service of a friend. We had crossed the bridge by the church with him many times over the years on our way out to lunch, always happy occasions.

I was happy to have such a beautiful day in which to say goodbye.

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely little journey you took us on. I love your repurposed pillar box, turned into the town book swap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book swaps are a popular use for the many redundant phone boxes. There have been some good swaps to be had in the one above, but someone in the area is reading far too many thrillers!

      Delete
  2. Oh those snow drops. I wish they grew here. So so so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drifts of snowdrops are so welcome at this time of year, such hardy little souls, unharmed by frost and pushing up through snow - I don't know how they do it!

      Delete
  3. What an excellent hunkering-down spot. These simple things look so fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to beat a bit of hunkering in the winter months! Requirements, red-hot wood burner, cosy throw, thick book, sofa all to myself.

      Delete
  4. The pictures of your husband on the ladder gave me pause. I don't get on one unless someone is there holding it and willing to catch me if I fall.

    Your cottage is picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once he had finished I went up the ladder to trim the climbing rose, 'New Dawn' that grows above the front door. I made sure that he was holding on to the ladder below. (And I was careful where I tossed down the cut branches!)
      Our bolt hole is very small and basic but I love it there, it is in the village where my parents lived and is full of memories. Our friend's death means that another link with our past has gone.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post. The ladder shots really caught my eye. I like the unusual composition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amused to glance out of the kitchen window and see his boots in the air. In the absence of any particular sky to photograph this was my only option!

      Delete