Monday 8 November 2021

October books

 The October local book group choice was the autobiography, 'Invisible Walls' by the former Guardian journalist Hella Pick. I read it on Kindle and it never aids my appreciation of a book. Hella came to Britain as a kinder transport child. Many of the events that she writes about and places that she visited are familiar to me. On occasion I felt as though she were following me about. "We were there that year!" "We've eaten there", "I remember that!" Although it was interesting there was a great deal of name dropping throughout the book which did not endear me to her and I felt some slippage  between how she intended to portray herself and my perception of her. I think a far more interesting book would be one written about her by somebody else!

Slim pickings at the traveling library. I chose another large print Agatha Christie novel but have now decided that is enough. I'm discouraged by the fact that the culprits can never be discovered because her endings are so sneaky. (Or is it that I'm just no good at detective work?!)

I realized half way through the book that I had seen this story on t.v. where there was the added advantage of looking at some pretty frocks!












 

 

This book was inspired by an actual event, the unexplained disappearance of keepers from their lighthouse. It was interesting enough but has not left a lasting impression, I have only a foggy recollection of the story line.


































2 comments:

  1. The BBC version of "A Carribean Mystery" was re-run on German TV only last week, and although I knew the story, I watched it again - nice dresses!
    The Lamplighters sounds very much like my kind of book, I shall look for it at the Kindle shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just lent the lamplighters book to a friend and he is enjoying it very much. There have been programmes on tv about the building of various British lighthouses - what an incredible feat!

      Delete