Friday 23 April 2021

A mixed bag of books

 The zoom book club meetings in February and March involved reading new novels and an old favourite. I was distinctly under-impressed with a couple of the new novels and fail to see how they garner such praise and remain for so long in the top ten list. I read 'Where the Crawdads Sing' on kindle which never enhances my reading experience. I gain much more with a physical book in my hands, although kindle does save my groaning bookshelves. The territory of this book was a very alien place for me and the story line and characterisation at times felt very contrived. It is the story of a young girl essentially left to grow feral and how she reacts to events by what she has observed from the nature around her. Some of the group loved it and it did make for a lively discussion, but it isn't a book that I would recommend.

The second book, first published in 2017, 'The Keeper of Lost Things' by Ruth Hogan I thoroughly disliked. I think it falls into the category of 'feel good' writing but it did nothing for me.

I found it slight and obvious. 
The author seemed to have a tick list to work through.
NOT recommended.











It was a relief to return to a much loved classic. Up for discussion was 'As I Lay Dying' by William Faulkner and, unlike the previous one, this book really makes the reader work hard. It is densely packed and the language of interior monologues takes a while to comprehend but it is well worth the effort. it was interesting for me to compare this book about a poor, ignorant rural family with  the Crawdads book, two depictions of rural America.

A present came in the post, a book of of poetry. What a delight! I was unaware that I knew her work but when I looked inside I realised that I knew some of the poems but had not registered her name. She is a wonderful discovery for me. The book is a hard back edition, a pleasure to handle.





















With the libraries closed I've been rereading books in the house. (Message to self, in future never buy an omnibus edition, they are too heavy to read in bed!) How I enjoy my distinctive dark green Virago books. I especially enjoyed 'The Doves of Venus', it reminds me of pootling around London as an art student in the sixties. Seems a long time ago now!















4 comments:

  1. There was much praise about the Crawdads book on several blogs I read, but I have not been induced to read it myself.
    The Keeper of Lost Things - the title sounds so familiar, but a quick check of my own book reviews shows that I have not read it; maybe there is another book by a similar title, or I have read about it elsewhere.
    I like the look of those Virago editions, although I don't know any of the authors, there is a strong appeal.

    Admittedly, sometimes all I want is light entertainment - not hard work, as rewarding as it may be. But after a long day spent working on various legal documents and other stuff I sometimes can't handle much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean by sometimes just wanting a comfort read but I very much dislike a book that seems to insult my intelligence. (I can watch any old rubbishy film on t.v. however!) 'The Doves of Venus' is quite a period piece, very English and with a happy ending. I've just read a FABULOUS book which I shall review.

      Delete
  2. I'm seldom to be found reading the new book fare, except when given as gifts and are then often well-chosen. Some new books are awful!

    "As I Lay Dying" was a memorable read in my 20s. The slow picking over the unfamiliar vernacular and then the shock ending! You've reminded me that it's well worth rereading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just read a fabulous new book. What a joy! But I don't trust any rave reviews, I am constantly amazed at what passes for a good read.
      As I lay really repays the effort. I've read it a few times now and am always amazed at how modern it is and how skilfully both funny and tragic.

      Delete