Monday 4 January 2021

Grey days

 The months of January and February are grey times for me. When the Christmas decorations have been taken down and packed away for another year the rooms look rather spartan.  It is cold outside, but worst of all, grey. I find low light levels, day after day very depressing. 

In the light of the frightening rise in Covid cases I doubt there will be a local seed swap this spring so last night I placed my order online. My, what a price packets of seeds are when you have to buy them rather than store and swap! I think another full country lockdown will be announced any day soon, so I'm pleased that I had a good two inches lopped off my hair before Christmas. The fringe I can attack anytime with craft scissors.

I am hugging the fireside and doing lots of reading, dressed, in tune with the weather, in grey; a Gap blouse, a cashmere jumper and my cosiest wool and alpaca trousers from Nicole Farhi. The trousers are  big and baggy and gloriously comfortable. They are years old and the fabric is now dangerously thin in the bum - good job I'm not going anywhere! I regret that Farhi is no longer designing clothes but now works as a sculptress. I love everything I have that was designed by her.

A friend  sent me the Patchwork book by Claire Wilcox, an autobiography described through a series of short written pieces or more appropriately, 'patches', as her career is in the fashion department of the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
Several well-known people are mentioned in the book but not named, so in places it is a bit of a guessing game and it did make me feel that I was viewing her information rather cloudily through carefully wrapped tissue paper. 
I did a short study course at the V&A when I was a student in London and have visited many times in the years since to wander through familiar rooms or to see special exhibitions, including  the Frieda Kahlo which was co-curated by Claire Wilcox.













































This month the book club in Yorkshire, now held on zoom, will be discussing 'Lark Rise to Candleford', the semi-autobiographical trilogy of country life in Oxfordshire in the 19th century written by Flora Thompson (1876-1947). I bought this illustrated copy for my mother, since when it has gravitated, together with other family books, back to me. The red and white spotted cover copies the pattern of the large cotton handkerchiefs that could be tied at the neck or used to wrap up a chunk of bread and cheese for lunch out in the fields.
I enjoyed the book although I did think that the life she described was over sentimentalised or over-sanitised in places. She writes of the menfolk of the hamlet never getting drunk a biography states that her father was an alcoholic. She also states how healthy all the children were, despite them often going hungry, yet I seem to recall that when young men were called up for the First World War a great many of them were found to be severely malnourished.
It is going to be interesting to hear what the other book group members think of it. They live in a rural part of Yorkshire and may well consider that some aspects of Flora's life still continue in much the same way today.
























The illustrations comprise old photos, reproductions of period paintings and pressed flowers and they cheered me up - the promise of spring to come!











11 comments:

  1. I need to read more. You look stunning as usual and I'm with you. I find winter depressing. If I could just win the lottery and move to a climate without freezing or rainy weather. How much happier I'd be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is turning out to be the winter to beat all, not only grim weather but ghastly government and a rampaging virus. Good reason to escape by burying my head in a book!

      Delete
  2. We've been having a series of grey days here, too, but the sun will be back - I promise :-)
    Even with low light, it is important for our physical and mental wellness to catch some daylight every day. It is difficult for me to do now that work has started again, as my lunch break is short and it is dark by the time I finish, but I try my best.

    Love the look of the Lark Rise book! Hasn't it also been turned into a TV series? I know what you mean about over-sanitising/sentimentalising.

    You look stylish and comfy at the same time in your grey outfit! I love my cashmere and other knit dresses this time of year, worn with warm "thermal" hose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We force ourselves out for a short walk every day unless the ground is very icy. I've no wish to fall with hospitals in their present dire state. I walked by the lake the other day and talked to a lone fisherman who told me that he had suffered badly with depression for most of his adult life. He didn't care about catching anything, the time spent by the water made him feel better and stayed with him all week until his next visit. It was really quite moving to hear him talk.
      Yes, Lark Rise was made into a film not far from here. My neighbour was the camera man.
      The camera is rather kind, I'm really pretty lumpy in those cosy pants!

      Delete
  3. Looking very chic, Rosemary. I had several Nicole Farhi pieces when I lived in London, and Mr. P brought home a gorgeous dress from a work trip once, still in my wardrobe. I do love it!

    The "Lark Rise" book I've not read, but have the tv-series on DVD as it was such a sweet treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Farhi items are all separates and quite understated, but the cut and the fabrics are just right and I shall continue to wear them until they fall to bits. Now I want to take a peek at your dress!
      Lark Rise was a light and feel good book to read through these extremely troubling times. I could do with something to make me laugh but funny books seem few and far between.

      Delete
  4. Lark Rise is about as accurate as the Laura Ingalls Wilder series but it's not surprising, really. Sharp edges are smoothed down with time. It's still a very enjoyable book for a grey winter's afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right of course. The book group meets on zoom tomorrow and I shall hear what members think of it. (My elder daughter loved the LIW books when she was a child, they were read and reread many times!)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed Sybil Marshall's 'The Silver New Nothing' more than 'Lark Rise', although for imagery few can better Laurie Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Miss Cellany,
    I was hoping you might know the artist of the attached print. It seems to have been based on one of the photos you took while in Morrab Place, Penance.
    It's very likely they were just struck by the image, as I was by the print, when I first saw it.

    Kind Regards,
    Declan

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CylplUo28tDtnkEF37msqxgEmFat-Jex/view?usp=drivesdk

    ReplyDelete
  7. To install Samsung printer drivers on Mac, you will be required to start with the printing jobs and for that you need to set up the printer drivers on your device. Samsung printers have the latest contemporary features and technology for a smoother printing experience in a very less time.
    -----------------------------
    Samsung Telefoonnummer

    ReplyDelete