There were many cards, including one from the queen.
Photos of the birthday boy at different stages in his long life.
The sun shone
and we could wander around the garden.
Goldney House is situated on Clifton Hill in Bristol. In the late seventeenth century Thomas Goldney the second, the son of a successful Quaker grocer, leased a house and garden in Clifton, which was then a small village separate from the city. He developed the house and gardens and created a grotto which he decorated with shells, quartz and a rock crystal known as 'Bristol diamonds'. There was no chance to look inside the grotto, it was securely locked.
The handsome red sandstone tower was built in 1764 to house the steam engine supplying water to the grotto.
The property passed through various members of the family and in 1864 was bought by Lewis Fry, a member of the famous Quaker chocolate manufacturing family who remodelled the house and the pleasure grounds.
The tea party was served in the orangery with heart-warming speeches from family and friends,
What a perfect way to celebrate one hundred years!