Wednesday 30 September 2020

A present from Yorkshire

 A parcel arrived last week from Betty's, a present of goodies from that well-known Yorkshire teashop. What a delight! Betty's was the shop that the family went to throughout my childhood if we wanted a treat, afternoon tea with my mother, but more usually a box of cakes chosen by my father, in which there would always be a vanilla slice, which was his favourite. When we visit Yorkshire now, (sigh - not since last January) the nearest Betty's is in Northallerton and it always tempts me in to buy a few things.






















Of course, what has always made the food so delicious, delicately made and beautifully presented, is that it was created by a Swiss!







Presentation is something that I care about, having made my living in the past by illustrating a motley collection of  things; packets, wine bottle labels, cans and tins. All the Betty's packaging is very pleasing to the eye.






























The purchase that I always make, however, is traditionally Yorkshire, a large curd tart. I think that Betty's is the tastiest one you can buy! Here in the south-west I make my own with  cottage cheese but when I was living in Yorkshire the farmer's wife used to give me the beestings, the rich milk produced when a cow has calved, and hers is the recipe that I use. 

Beestings would have been the original curds and whey that Miss Muffet ate. 

Dorothy Horner's Curd Tart.

5oz sugar and 4oz butter beaten to a cream.

12oz curds, a pinch of salt, half a teaspoon nutmeg

4oz currants and two or three eggs. Mix well.

gas mark 6 approx 25 minutes.

The secret is to be generous with the nutmeg!








3 comments:

  1. My Yorkshire relatives have sometimes been sending me a treat or two from Betty's for a birthday or at Christmas, always very welcome, and as you say, the packaging is beautiful! So far, I have never actually been inside the one at Harrogate (our closest), because the queue outside put me off.
    Isn't it funny how something a Swiss made has become so traditional Yorkshire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted that you also receive treats from Bettys. Next time you are in Harrogate you must buy a large Yorkshire curd tart and let me know what you think!
      I think the Swiss introduced a new level of finesse and presentation with their products - just the thought of them makes my mouth water!

      Delete
  2. How to Talk to a Live Person at Gmail Whether business or personal, using an email service as a means of communication has become quite common. Not only this, email services have also become a major tool for digital marketing. Among all the email services available in the market (which is a lot), Gmail is probably the most prominent email service with millions of users worldwide. This calls for a need of excellent support to help the users in case any issue occurs with Gmail. Luckily, How to Talk to a Real Person at Gmail Google does offer excellent Gmail Customer Service, backed up by experts with the ability to fix almost all kinds of issues related to this email service and Gmail Live Person. So just connected with experts dial Gmail Telefoonnummer.

    ReplyDelete