Wednesday 22 January 2020

Little Women

We've been to see the latest film version of  'Little Women' and I loved everything about it. We had made a trip to Concord a couple of decades ago when we were both still working. It could be described more accurately as a pilgrimage because Himself is a great fan of the writings of Henry Thoreau and wanted to visit Walden Pond.
The site of Thoreau's hut.


He has copies of all Thoreau's work, including two hefty journals. I'm not as keen and say that the journals are useful only to stand on when I need to reach for something on a high shelf. We each followed our own interests while in Concord, so Himself looked around the house where Emerson lived and I went to see the home of Louisa M Alcott and her family. It was a lovely experience.
The holiday had been memorable so we were eager to see what had been translated onto the screen. The colour of the March house was the same as the Alcott's and the beauty of the area well captured.
I loved the clothes - all the fabrics, socks, pants, shawls, petticoats - and Jo's waistcoats! I've looked out the waistcoats in my wardrobe and now I want to wear them with BIG skirts and natty little jackets. This brown velvet one is about thirty years old and as good as new
although the back could do with an iron!
I noticed that the living room wallpaper in the film was a William Morris design, the same one, as it happens, that we have on our bedroom walls. I wouldn't have thought that an English wallpaper would have been used over the pond at that time. Anybody know? Some of the landscape shots were absolutely beautiful. I loved the book as a young girl and  couldn't believe that Jo didn't want to marry Laurie! In the film she marries a very desirable young man, not the middle-aged character described in the novel - yeh!







7 comments:

  1. In the next week, I will be seeing Little Women with some dear friends. I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that you will love this film as much as I do. Do let me know your reaction to it.

      Delete
  2. O.K. and I were discussing what film we'd want to see at the cinema (he got vouchers for Christmas from a friend), and Little Women would have been one of my choices. In the end we didn't go as it was a cold, dark, wet evening and we rather stayed at home in the cosy, warm cottage with good food and a bottle of wine.

    I love Louisa M. Alcott's work - the book "Work" is my favourite, even more so than Little Women. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read 'Work'. Great, a treat in store!

      Delete
  3. Oh I am looking forward to seeing Little Women. It has always been one of my favorite books. I hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a visual treat. The film doesn't follow the linear structure of the book but moves back and forward in time. The characterisation is excellent. I would happily watch the film again, just as I used to read and re-read the book!

      Delete
  4. I don't believe she marries the professor in this latest version. We are led to believe this Jo March was very much like Louisa Alcott herself, who never married. That being said, I think you can expect to see a lot of waistcoats, big skirts and little jackets on this side of the pond, too!

    ReplyDelete