Monday 17 February 2020

Visible Monday - bargain Boden.

Every other year the mail order clothing firm, Boden, holds a warehouse sale at the local show ground. In the past I've been with my friend, Janet, arriving when the sale first opens in the morning. It has been like taking part in a rugby scrum. This time we decided to be more lady-like and saunter in after lunch. Janet is a demon shopper, she used to work in the fashion industry and can work at speed through a mound of unlikely looking clothing like a truffle hound and pull out a bargain. She is also good at restraining me from making an ill-judged purchase with the mere lift of an eyebrow so she's a great person to go shopping with. I'm not in need of any clothes and for the last few years have been trying to buy as little as possible so I wasn't intending to buy anything for myself, but thought I would just take a look at the women's clothes while I was there. I was on the hunt for  children's wear, age 3 to 4yrs for my grandson who is growing up quickly.
It was very quiet when we arrived and the clothes remaining on the tables looked  unpromising, they had been well picked over. Had we made a big mistake by being so late? An organiser told us that in the morning women had descended like locusts and grabbed armfuls of clothes and had been busy photographing them. Individuals had bought so many items that it was suspected they were to be sold on later for a profit.
I managed to find some moleskin trousers and a lovely jumper for the boy, by which time Janet had decked herself out in a very natty jumpsuit. Dresses were £20. Janet gave me something crumpled and white to try on.
 
Cotton dress and with petticoat, pockets, scalloped hem and armholes.
My size, UK 12. What's not to like!

While in the changing room I saw someone wearing this pink shirtwaister, the only size left was UK16. "Try it on," said the expert. 100% cotton, pockets, button through, LOTS of room! It looks rather '40's/50's utility - just the thing for my sort of lifestyle!
 So we came home happy.


I'm sharing with Patti's Visible Monday at notdeadyetstyle.com She is talking about tuxedos/jackets. I've got a summery Boden jacket from several years back (bought full price!) that I usually wear with jeans. Perhaps it will go with the white dress. Though I'm going to have to wait until the weather warms and we've finished with storms!

4 comments:

  1. The white dress is so pretty, you will look like the Queen of Summer when you wear it on a sunny day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased with this white dress, it will be a great holiday item as it is very light and folds up neatly.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete